Tuesday, August 16, 2011

My husband quit his job several months ago to work at home, how do I deal with judgmental family members?

My husband worked at his job he hated for over 14 years, one day he had enough of his boss and all the stress, so he quit and he now works at home with me. It came as a surprise to our in-laws who now seem to be keeping us at a distance since he quit. Where we used to talk and see each other once a week, we now only email once a month if that. My sister in law is very judgmental, she speaks openly her opinions about my husband's parent's financial decisions (behind their backs of course!) Now I feel that she must be judging us, as she made some comments that let me know she didn't approve of my husband's decision. When we do have get-togethers conversations seem strained, not friendly like before. My sister in law has told us about people she "black lists" because of things they have done to annoy her. I feel we have been blacklisted, and I don't know how to broach the subject with her, or if I even should. We are doing well working from home and we are happier than ever with all the extra family time we have, and we don't miss for one minute all the stress of his old job. I think my sister in law expected us to fail miserably, or expects us to still fail. How should I deal with future family gatherings, when she asks questions on how we are doing (with that slight sneer on her face) or worse, snubs us?

No comments:

Post a Comment